sat around too long

pops

sat around too long

Post by pops »

Since I wrecked my car four years ago nothing on it has been done. I have ordered some parts for it and have some questions about cranking the engine. Should I remove the spark plugs and spray a light weight oil in the cylinders then turn the engine over by hand. Then prime the carb and fire that baby up, or am I looking at a complete engine rebuild. Any suggestions would be appreciated..
Tom Wells

Re: sat around too long

Post by Tom Wells »

Robert,

There's a chance you may not have to rebuild unless the mice or some rust have taken over the innards...

Here's a primer on startup: http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/sta ... ngine.html

As far as pressurizing the oil system, I'm not convinced the distributor gear thingie is necessary. You may be able to turn the engine over with the battery & starter as long as the plugs are out and a few drops of oil are put into each cylinder, and after you have followed the instructions up to that point. I'd use their recommended Marvel Mystery Oil or regular engine oil and literally just a few drops per cylinder.

There has been some recent chatter on the internet about using a sprayer from Lowes or Home Depot to pressurize the system first before trying the starter, but I couldn't find it - maybe you'll have better luck. If you do find a way to do this, I would use the oil pressure gauge port just above the fuel pump opening on the front, driver's side of the engine (on the 460s.) Maybe it's in a different place on the small block? The 460s also have another port at the rear center of the block but it would be my second choice simply because of its location in the oil flow path.

You could hook up a new, unused one of those pressurized sprayers to the port - usually the port has a 1/8" pipe thread - and just pump in some new engine oil by hand. On the 460 the front port is just above the oil pump so it would introduce the oil at the correct place to lube the engine.

I hope it turns out OK - let us know.

Tom
pops

Post by pops »

Thanks Tom, so that just confirms what I was thinking I had to do. I didnt know about the sprayer I like that idea so I'll give it a try.
BlackSnake

Post by BlackSnake »

Pops,
I'll assume at the time the damage occurred the car was simply pushed into a corner of the garage and ignored until now? If so, drain the oil and fuel tank and refill. Replace the oil and fuel filters. Pull the carb, open it up and flush out old fuel and deposits... soak parts in Berryman's if fuel has turned to varnish... rebuild as necessary. Check inside of distributor cap for corrosion on contacts and rotor. Disable the spark box when you're ready to crank it so it turns over for several cycles to build oil pressure. Once you get oil pressure indication, reconnect the spark box and fire it up. Good luck bringing it back to life, should be fine. ..]

Mike
Avalanche325

Post by Avalanche325 »

I am glad to see you resurface!!! We met one night when you were out driving and I had just started my build. If you have seen a black with silver stripe one running around Jax Beach, that is me.

Replace all of the fluids. Oil, coolant, and brake fluid. Once an engine has been run, it can sit for a long long time and not need the oil system primed. There will likely still be an oil film on the bearings. For the 10 minutes it takes, I would do it anyway though. All you need is 1/4" socket (for SBF), extension, and a drill. TAPE THE SOCKET TO THE EXTENSION, and the extension to the drill, with electrical tape. You don't want it to end up in the pan. The drill needs to be in reverse.

Several guys over at ffcars.com have used sprayers for engines without distributors.

Good luck. I hope to see you on the road soon.
pops

Post by pops »

Well the hot rod gods must have had favor on me. After I did all the prep work I jumped in the seat turned on all the switches pushed the starter button and NOTHIN :GR:: What a let down, I pushed it a few more times just hoping it would work still nothing O} So i went thru the sequence again,and again and again, check the wiring clean connections recharge battery.OK one more time trans in neutral, alarm off, ignition on, fuel pump on then push the button and OH O:::: did I hear a little click. I think so . Pushed it again and it fired right up OH sweet the sound. (v) (v) I dont have side pipes yet so open headers in the garage is somewhat loud. So out it went and around the neighbor hood we went. Brakes worked, clutch worked trans shifted fine, just a little backfire when letting off gas .Man what a great feeling. Now to get a new tag and insurance. ~~(/)
Avalanche325

Post by Avalanche325 »

Awesome! Glad to hear that she fired up! Get her on the road and we'll go for a cruise.
BlackSnake

Post by BlackSnake »

Glad to hear it pops, great to have you back!