stainless coolant lines

bfitz241

stainless coolant lines

Post by bfitz241 »

Hey guys,
I want to update the coolant hoses and want to use stainless tubing. I am having zero luck. Tried Summit and Jegs and Google.
Anybody know a supplier that can make this stuff? I'd need a straight piece with ribs to hold the hoses and 2 90* fittings or hoses for the ends.
OR, I can ignore it and leave it the way it is.
Thanks
FFR 351C AFD heads Silver w/black trim no stripes
Tom Wells

Re: stainless coolant lines

Post by Tom Wells »

Brian,

I did mine using SS exhaust tubing. It may be hard to find a 90 that is a tight enough bend.

I bought a roller to make a ridge at each end, but it only works on really thin SS. I ended up having Rick's muffler shop weld a bead around each end to prevent the hose sliding off.

If you'd like to try the tool, you're welcome to borrow it when I get back. Also, I've seen a homemade ridge-maker made by grinding the jaws of a pair of vise-grips.

Tom
mooreken

Re: stainless coolant lines

Post by mooreken »

I didn't use stainless but I did use aluminized steel exhaust tubing. I rubbed it up slick and put Shark Hide on it to keep it fresh looking. I made a tool out of a vice grip with the bottom half of a muffler clamp and a small piece of round stock welded to the jaws to crimp the bead in the ends to keep the hose from slipping off.
If you want I can post a picture of the tool. It took a few minutes to make the bead but it did a good job.

Ken
Attachments
IMG_0213.jpg
IMG_0213.jpg (110.15 KiB) Viewed 2105 times