Ponte Vedra car show

Tom Wells

Re: Ponte Vedra car show

Post by Tom Wells »

Rich,

Is that the Gate station at US-1 and Valley Ridge Rd just south of 210? If so I think we can make it for 8AM.

Tom
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Wow, what a grand day! Thanks to Rich for suggesting it, and cHarley for putting up the flyer. As far as I could see there were only two Cobras present. All the FCCC folks stayed away for various reasons.

First, to keep this Cobra-oriented I have to put up a couple of shots of Rich and his car. He had lots of attention:
Rich and crowdweb.jpg
Rich and crowdweb.jpg (482.25 KiB) Viewed 4786 times
and when there were no crowds, he polished:
Rich polishingweb.jpg
Rich polishingweb.jpg (533.07 KiB) Viewed 4786 times
The Zephyr was there - I have to admit I thought it was going to rain:
Zephyr and friendsweb.jpg
Zephyr and friendsweb.jpg (407.04 KiB) Viewed 4786 times
And finally, the high point of the day - the judging:
Judges1web.jpg
Judges1web.jpg (397.38 KiB) Viewed 4786 times
In case you didn't recognize him, the guy on the left is Bill Warner, founder and chairman of The Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance Foundation. On the right I believe is Dick Messer, former director of the Petersen Automotive Museum in L.A. from 2000 to 2010; sorry I didn't get the other gentleman's name. If someone can provide it, please do.

As they judged the Zephyr (no trophy, surprise, surprise) Bill said several things that he may or may not say to everyone: "You are insane" "I like this car" and "I like your sense of humor" referring to the car.

One never knows...

Oh, by the way, there was second Cobra there - a 289 slabside in dark blue solid color with kidney bean wheels. It died on the main drive, and when the driver returned, he left before I could get a picture or ask if it was an original. Maybe next time.

There were more Corvettes than I could count, ditto Porsches and Ferraris.

Glad I went (did I really say that about a car show?)
Last edited by Tom Wells on Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rjscharer

Post by Rjscharer »

That Doctor that wants to pay $50k for the Zephyr called me to get your phone number.

Rich
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

~~(< ~~(< ~~(<
Avalanche325

Post by Avalanche325 »

I went. Just looked, didn't put my car in. I saw one Backdraft.

Not in the show, but parked on the road between the two show lots was this car:

http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot.co ... -some.html

I got a nice look and had a quick chat with the owner. He was leaving. Why didn't I ask for a ride?
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Thanks for the info - we saw the car too and I did think maybe it was an original since its kidney bean wheels are quite rare. It certainly ran badly enough - the driver had to put it over the curb onto the grass because it was running so roughly it seemed likely to die any second. He came back later and we watched him leave with the car sounding a little better but not much. Not sure I'd have paid $885,000 for it but that's just me.

The Backdraft is Rich's car (see the top two pictures in this thread) and it's a beauty with a Coyote engine.

You shoulda stopped by the wagon and Rich's car and said hi!
Avalanche325

Post by Avalanche325 »

It did sound pretty rough. I guess it is true that Webbers can either be tuned for idle or WOT. They sure do look nice though. The guy told me that he used to have a 427, but it just threw too much heat to be comfortable, and he likes the 289 much better.

Rich's car looked very nice. There was no one around it when I came through. I hit the show around lunch time and just did a quick round and out.