Side pipe repair

mooreken

Side pipe repair

Post by mooreken »

After the Daytona track day the small annoying rattle in my side pipe became more prominent. I have decided to find out what is going on.
After committing to the power tools I found that the internal connection from the header to the side pipe either broke the welds or was never welded (which is what I think happened) the long runs at top end cooked some of the insolation and let it rattle more.

Photo 5 is why I have such a messy garage and storage area. Never throwing anything away has been a life long issue with me. This roll of fiberglass is left over from the first part of the 4 years that it took to build the car and the nearly 5 years that it has been built. That being said it fit the job nicely.
I'll post more photos as I go along. I should get the pieces welded back on tomorrow and ground smooth. I've ordered some spray rattle can ceramic coating I'm going to try. But I got a back up plan to get it recoated for $150 if needed.
Ken
Attachments
exh1a.JPG
exh1a.JPG (116.75 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
exh2a.JPG
exh2a.JPG (103.41 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
exh3a.JPG
exh3a.JPG (119.18 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
exh4a.JPG
exh4a.JPG (90.96 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
exh5a.JPG
exh5a.JPG (99.93 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
exh6a.JPG
exh6a.JPG (93.28 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
Tom Wells

Re: Side pipe repair

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

Impressive fabrication ..]

Do you have a bung on that side for an O2 sensor? If not, you might consider putting one in since it has to be recoated anyway. That would give a spot to put my O2 meter for you to look at tuning if you'd like to borrow it.

If you don't want a bung, I think Herb has a "stick it up the tailpipe" sensor he could bring with him if/when he gets his health issues under control.

Tom
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Got all the welding done and ground smooth. Now just waiting for the big brown truck to bring the ceramic coating.
I ordered a bung for the O2 sensor. Not sure if I can put it in a place that wont show. Have to see when all the pieces show up.
Attachments
exh7.JPG
exh7.JPG (103.94 KiB) Viewed 3971 times
exh8.JPG
exh8.JPG (98.21 KiB) Viewed 3971 times
exh9.JPG
exh9.JPG (89.63 KiB) Viewed 3971 times
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

Ack!

I should have said something - I have a couple lying around that I could give you if you're going to the SCCA meeting on the 10th. Assuming I can find them.

If you're not going, or if you need it sooner I could pop one into an envelope.

I have mine here on the Cobra:
BothBungs.jpg
BothBungs.jpg (393.64 KiB) Viewed 3969 times
Note the double bung - the top one on the Cobra is for the EFI controller. Closer to the engine gets hotter gases.

and here's the passenger side on the Zephyr:
Header to headpipe and bung pass side web.jpg
Header to headpipe and bung pass side web.jpg (300.66 KiB) Viewed 3969 times
and the driver's side:
Header to headpipe and bung web.jpg
Header to headpipe and bung web.jpg (279.04 KiB) Viewed 3969 times
Both of these are used on the Zephyr. The driver's side has the EFI controller's O2 sensor and the passenger side has the Air/Fuel gauge sensor.

What they have in common is the attempt to keep them above the centerline of the pipe so that water and other stuff that might exit through the pipe won't drown or damage them. Angling them slightly toward the ground seems to be a good idea too.

Here's a link to a diagram from Holley about O2 sensor location: https://forums.holley.com/showthread.ph ... r-Location

BTW, your brother's art work is nice! (Wrong color - should be red LOL)

Let me know about the bung,

Tom
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

I've all ready ordered one. Thx anyway.
Yes I do plan to ride down with you for the meeting.
Avalanche325

Post by Avalanche325 »

Nice work!