Motor damage

mooreken

Re: Motor damage

Post by mooreken »

Sense I have to wait for the "Toy Car's" budget to get a little better, I thought I would take a look at why my 5th gear was a little wonky.
I think I found the answer!
Something happened to the synchronizer indent pens or spring. Cant tell what broke first. The strange think is all the pieces were in the main case, 5th gear is on the outside of the case in the tail housing. So I guess all the little bits found their way thru the oiling holes.

I can get a overhaul kit with all new bearing, and synchronizers for around $400 pricey but less than the motor stuff. So I think I'll keep busy doing the transmission while I wait for the new year.
Ken
Attachments
IMG_0075.JPG
IMG_0075.JPG (121.15 KiB) Viewed 2832 times
IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0076.JPG (96.89 KiB) Viewed 2832 times
IMG_0077.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG (115.09 KiB) Viewed 2832 times
IMG_0074.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG (161.13 KiB) Viewed 2832 times
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

I think I see the problem: you painted the case Ford blue ~~(:: ~~(::

Tom
BlackSnake

Post by BlackSnake »

Just ignore him Ken, that's what I do...:-)

Do we need to open up a gofundme site to help you out? :-)
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Funny you mention that. I just said the same thing a couple of hours ago to my wife.

I've ordered the rebuild kit with all bearings, shims, synchronizers, clips and springs. I have the how to YouTube videos bookemarked and ready to start.

I had bought a 2 DVD instruction set when I built it the first time. The eBay purchase had a tooth missing on 2nd or3rd gear. The videos work out nice I put them in the laptop and play a step hit pause and do the step. Repeat as needed.

However I didn't know much about T-5's then. I had got a small overhaul kit even before I had found a transmission. Turned out it was for a non-World Class box. I put in the brass synchronizers not knowing the WC doesn't use those. It's a wonder it even shifted. This didn't effect the 5th gear issue as 5th gear uses the brass stuff.

I'm expecting the new motor to make 50-60 more hp. So the new trans parts and a proper build should be money spent well.
BlackSnake

Post by BlackSnake »

Sounds to me like you need a TKO 500 or 600...maybe Santa will leave one under your tree for Xmas... :D