Motor Parts

mooreken

Re: Motor Parts

Post by mooreken »

Had a bit of a set back today. I pulled the bent valves out of my discontinued Trick Flow twisted wedge heads to install new valves. I got a pair of sbc trick flow valves from Summit. However the stems are too long. More searching and found a maybe exh valve. But no intake. Called Trick Flow and they don't carry them anymore. They gave me a number to call a valve making place. Hope they will make just the 2 valves. Hate to have to by new heads because of $40 worth of valves.
:GR::
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

Maybe it is planned obsolescence?

I guess it makes a difference how much too long those valve stems are. I recall shortening some by precision grinding, but it wasn't enough length difference to go through the hardened part of the stem...

Tom
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

One is about 1/2" the other about 1/4". Too much to grind.
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

Melling has some automotive parts catalogs online, albeit somewhat tricky to find and navigate.

That said, here's a link to their parts lookup: https://www.melling.com/parts-lookup/

If you click on "PRODUCT ATTRIBUTE" and the select "Engine intake valve" from the top dropdown titled "Select a product line", you may be able to find some usable parts that way by putting in dimensions under the different attribute slots.

If that works, a usable exhaust valve maybe can be found in similar fashion.

Hope this works!

Tom
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Looks like I will be able to get a valve. Ferret can make one for me. They are looking to see if their repair dept has one laying around.
Good thing too. Sense the heads take a special intake rocker and most of the HP heads start have .100 longer valves it was looking pretty pricey to replace the heads.

Stress levels have dropped some.
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Just an update. I got the intake valve ok. Ferrea had the engineering plans for it and make one up special. Only cost double the price that Trick Flow had before it was discontinued . $50. Cheap sense if I could not get one it meant new heads, push rods, half set of rockers at the least.

Spent the day modifying the oil pan to make more room for the stroker crank. I hope that is the last of the fabrication I'll have to do.
Here are a couple of photos.
On the first one I'm sealing/gluing the crank oil scraper to the block and I have the rear journal scraper installed.
If I stay motivated I should have it running on the engine stand this weekend or before.
Ken
Attachments
IMG_0820.JPG
IMG_0820.JPG (121.99 KiB) Viewed 4576 times
IMG_0819.JPG
IMG_0819.JPG (112.92 KiB) Viewed 4576 times
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Plugging along. Lower end is done, valve train is finished. I updated the half of my rockers that were "eBay Chinese" to Comp Cam the other half were already Comp cam do to the offset intake valves. I felt that I was pushing my luck on those. I could just visualize all those needle bearing flowing thru the motor.
With any luck maybe the next update will be it running.
Attachments
IMG_0821.JPG
IMG_0821.JPG (108.5 KiB) Viewed 4528 times
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

Looks like significant progress!

You're way ahead of me - they hadn't started stripping mine until today.

Are you going to try for Daytona in May?

Tom
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Yes that is my plan...of course it all depends on whether or not I can up with a plan that will pass Tech with the 4th roll bar leg.
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Engine is ready to put on the run stand.
Can't wait to hear it make some noise.
Attachments
IMG_0823.JPG
IMG_0823.JPG (2.23 MiB) Viewed 4426 times