The substance we laughingly call "gasoline"

Tom Wells

The substance we laughingly call "gasoline"

Post by Tom Wells »

The substance we laughingly call "gasoline" seems nicely written up here: http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Gasoline

The part of the article that rings a bell with me, relating to "geysering" of the Holley carb bowl vents is this:
has an initial boiling point at atmospheric pressure of about 35 °C (95 °F) and a final boiling point of about 200 °C (395 °F).
You can see that some boiling can take place at a temperature as low as 95 degrees Fahrenheit, probably due to the ethanol (from corn). A lot more boiling can take place well below the 395 degree final number, where it all boils away, probably due to the many different kinds of liquids blended together to make the final substance.

I think the article is worth a read!

Tom

PS: I didn't try ethanol-free gasoline. At the time it was harder to find than it is now, but possibly it would have a higher initial boiling point which could help to suppress the geysering I experienced. No problems with EFI ..]
BlackSnake

Re: The substance we laughingly call "gasoline"

Post by BlackSnake »

Hmm, "geysering" conjures an image of anim-Al's car...:-)
Avalanche325

Post by Avalanche325 »

They are rebuilding the Gate station right around the corner from my house. Razed it down to the dirt, new tanks and everything. I just heard today that they are going to have an ethanol free tank. Hopefully it will be Cobra food 93 octane.
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Chris,

Our Gate has some - it is 89 octane I think - I'll check next time I go there.

My cars digest it nicely.

Tom