New surprises in the motor

mooreken

New surprises in the motor

Post by mooreken »

]As I'm waiting for my new Road Race oil pan to arrive I'll give another story on the Cobra as the site seems a little too quiet. (am I the only one that has a Cobra wanting attention..lol)

After Daytona I had the balancer issue that I wrote about, but I also noticed on the last run that the oil pressure was lower than normal. So I cut the oil filter open hopping not to find little shinny stuff.
No shinny stuff but a lot of large (for an oil filter) blue stuff. There were a lot more pieces than what is shown in this photo..I didn't think to take a picture.
Oil Filter
Oil Filter
IMG_1008.JPG (93.41 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
I knew that it had to be the oil pan gasket so after removing the Circle track pan I took a look. It seems that the longer stroke on the crank shaft was hitting the gasket. This also explained the oil leak that developed after the miles were adding up.
Pan gasket 1
Pan gasket 1
IMG_1009.JPG (132.94 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
Pan 2
Pan 2
IMG_1010.JPG (120.03 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
The gasket is a Fel-Pro and it is the good one. However I had ordered it from Summit just via the motor needs as in Small block Chevy Gen1...when I got it I noticed that it had provisions for the dip stick to be on either side. While that did not seem to be a problem the shape of the gasket was.
For the replacement gasket I got one with only one dip stick hole and I was prepared to trim the gasket to fit the new crankshaft. BUT to my surprise when I put them side by side the new gasket is shaped so that the crank shaft can not reach the gasket... ..]
Pan 3
Pan 3
IMG_1011.JPG (138.22 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
IMG_1012.JPG
IMG_1012.JPG (120.8 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
I did pull a rod cap off and the bearings look good so I don't think any damage was done. There is no doubt that the Accusump saved the motor. Both from the lack of oiling from right hand turns with the circle track pan and helping the plugged oil filter oil the motor. I'm also glad I went with the Accusump adapter that allowed me to feed the Accusump with filtered oil (kept all those blue chunks out of the Accusump. The other aftermarket adapters were for an oil cooler setup and were fed before the filter.

I hope to have the new pan in a few more days...I already have a new balancer that is SFI 18.1 rated.
So that and another $100 of Royal Purple oil and I should be ready for the Reptile Round Up Saturday cruise later in the month...If it don't rain :W:
Avalanche325

Re: New surprises in the motor

Post by Avalanche325 »

Swingin' a big crank often leads to trouble.

It is nice to see that the filter did its job as well as the accusump.