RIP Herb Smith, Carb Czar

Tom Wells

RIP Herb Smith, Carb Czar

Post by Tom Wells »

Very sad news: Herb Smith passed away today. No more Carb Czar...
HerbWithDeadSaturn2.JPG
HerbWithDeadSaturn2.JPG (349.71 KiB) Viewed 2367 times
[attachment=0]HerbTomFlamesWeb.jpg[/attachment

One of the best guys I knew.
Attachments
HerbTomFlamesWeb.jpg
HerbTomFlamesWeb.jpg (228.95 KiB) Viewed 2367 times
BlackSnake

Re: RIP Herb Smith, Carb Czar

Post by BlackSnake »

It truly is a sad day Tom, Herb was a genuinely great guy. He will be missed...I need a scotch.
Tom Wells

Re: RIP Herb Smith, Carb Czar

Post by Tom Wells »

Mike,

I need one too...

Here's a copy of my post on the Capital Area Cobra Club site:
I haven't been able to post anything 'til now because I cloud up and rain when I start. Now it's time.

It's clear there's a common thread in the posts remembering Herb; he truly loved helping others, and did so generously because he cared about each of them. He also loved a good project.

Herb came to St Augustine quite a few times - his standard question was "do you have some projects?" and my standard honest answer was always "yes!"

A few of the things Herb helped with, or in some cases that he did while I watched and fetched tools for the Zephyr wagon were rebuilding and installing the differential, redoing the brakes including all the pads and rotors, installing the EFI manifold (Sandy too on that one thank you!), installing the racing hood latches, plus a bunch more that I forget... Before the EFI he tuned the carb - two days worth of intense work - and got it to return 16MPG. Lest you think this was easy you need to remember the engine is a 557 in a 3400lb car.

Herb also helped install the outside computer room door and the motion sensitive garage lights which remind Kay and me of Herb every time they greet us by lighting up at night.

Herb also helped at least three other Florida Cobra owners by, in two cases, rebuilding their carbs and sending them back and in the third case, lending his carb via UPS for troubleshooting a Cobra setup.

I do hope Hector is right about Herb helping with the heavenly Cobra.

I will miss his unfailing sense of humor and good company. A lot.

Tom