Oil Leak follow up

mooreken

Oil Leak follow up

Post by mooreken »

Well its been cold add rainy so the board has been quite. Here are some pictures of how my engine reinstall came out.

While cleaning the engine bay while the motor was out I found Heat Damage to the foot boxes. I used Lizard Skin heat undercoat but I painted over the top. The undercoat did its job but the paint gave up.
Heat Damage
Heat Damage
IMG_0943.JPG (417.32 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
Heat damage
Heat damage
IMG_0944.JPG (608.4 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
I added heat shield from Summit Racing.
Heat Shield
Heat Shield
IMG_0979.JPG (682.04 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
Here is the old breather system. Looks cool but it leaked, even with baffles and a air filter pre breather sponge that I took from my Lawnmower's air cleaner stuffed in.
Old Breather
Old Breather
BreatherOld.jpg (100.44 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
Here is the air breather that I wanted to use....it is just barely too Tall. I shortened up everything that I could and it just still needs another 5/16 shorter"
New Breather
New Breather
IMG_1001.JPG (643.98 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
This is where I ended up.
All done
All done
IMG_0999.JPG (464.16 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
Old air cleaner, new valve covers with PVC system connected and Headers re-coated with ceramic.
I also moved my vacuum advance from ported to manifold vacuum. This fixed a LOT of problems. My plugs always looked rich. Even when I knew that I had it jetted too lean. Once I changed the vacuum the plugs got real white right away. I raised the jets 5 steps and all sorts of drivability issues went away. The manifold vacuum increased the idle advance around 15 degrees. Max advance stayed the same when accelerating.

Well that's all for now.....Just wanted to share my "Garage Time".

Ken
cobra1151

Re: Oil Leak follow up

Post by cobra1151 »

Hi Ken,
Did you drill and tap the intake for the new vacuum line or did you use an existing connection? I'm planning on changing out my carb and intake so I would prefer to drill and tap any holes before I install it on the motor if there isn't already one there. Thinking of going with a Quick fuel carb and an Edelbrock performer RPM air-gap dual-plane intake ( w/EnduraShine finish). I don't know if the intake has any vacuum bosses. I'm trying to eliminate a stumble upon acceleration and at the same time dress up the motor. I also plan on changing out the water pump for one with the EnduraShine finish just to brighten up the engine bay.

Thanks
Carl
mooreken

Re: Oil Leak follow up

Post by mooreken »

Carl. I used the other port on the holley carb. As it turned out the easiest one was ported. Manifold vacuum was sorta under the fuel bowl. The PCV hole was also on the carb. I have the same intake. The throttle body should have all the ports. Ported does not have vacuum until the throttle opens. The other one will have vacuum all the time.