DSCC End of Summer Mountain cruise

Avalanche325

DSCC End of Summer Mountain cruise

Post by Avalanche325 »

Anyone here going? I am planning to. You do not have to be a DSCC member.

It is a bit of a haul to the hotel. 7+ hours from Jax Beach. I was wondering about doing a convoy from the beaches.

Here is the info:

2016 Deep South Cobra Club End of Summer Cruise
September 15-18

One of our Deep South Cobra Club members, Billy Godfrey, has volunteered to lead us on an end of the summer cruise based out of Hiawassee, Ga. We have enjoyed this area for many years with many different members of our club leading the way. Each year is better than the last.

This year, I understand that Donna Bopp has graciously volunteered to sing for us Thursday evening after dinner for those of us staying at the hotel Thursday evening. As most of you know, she is the better half of Garry Bopp. We always look forward to her music. Hopefully, she will bring some CD's to sell too.

Being an annual event, it's also nice because you don't realize that you have traveled some of these roads before. One of the areas that have been driven many times is the "Tail of the Dragon". The "Tail" is not on our primary route this year, but Billy knows that some of you who have never driven it, want to drive it. He has put together a route that will allow those members to drive the tail and meet up with the rest of the group for lunch and then continue to cruise with everyone.

Here is the hotel reservation information and summary of the weekend. Specific route details will be handed out the day of the event. It is important that as you register for the hotel room and for those who may not be staying in the hotel but want to come on the cruise, please make sure that you have contacted Billy Godfrey direct at: happy777@myemc.net
He needs to know that you will be coming so that he can give a head count for the different events. Do not just show up without contacting Billy first. We need to keep the head count correct.

For those 2016 DSCC members actually "driving" their cobra the furthest, there will be an "Iron Butt" award presented on Saturday night.

Thursday, September 15
Lake Chatuge Lodge
653 US highway 76
Hiawassee, GA 30546
800 613 4349
Reservations @ Lake Chatuge Lodge, Georgia Mountain Hotel, Hiawassee Hotel

When booking your room, a rate of $124 will be quoted...once we meet our room minimum, the base rate will drop to $112 per night with a 72 hour cancellation date.

Discount code: DSCOBRA
If they go on line to our reservations site, they can enter the group code DSCOBRA to receive the rates quoted.

Dinner is @: Big Al's Pizza
6pm
757 Bell Creek Rd #4
Hiawassee,GA
706 896 1970

Return to the lodge and enjoy blue grass music with Donna Bopp in the hotel lounge.

Friday, September 16
The members driving the tail of the dragon should depart at 8:30am

All others will depart lodge parking lot at 9am to Robbinsville, N.C. We will make a restroom and gas stop in Robbinsville then head to the Cherohala Skyway. No gas or restrooms for approximately 50 miles. Along the way we plan to stop at the Lake View overlook for pictures then proceed to Bald River Falls which is 6 miles off of the parkway via a narrow hard top road along the river (Forest Service Road 210). From there we will continue on to Tellico Plains stopping for lunch. After lunch we will gas up and head back to Hiawassee (approx 70 miles).
(we are still working on the lunch location)

Relax for a while then head out to dinner at 530pm. 39 miles via hwy 515 south.

Dinner is @: Blue Ridge Brewery
187 Depot Street
Blue Ridge,GA
706 632 6611

Saturday, September 17
Depart lodge parking lot at 9am to Brasstown Bald, Georgia's highest Mountain. Ample parking, restrooms, gift and novelties at Brasstown Bald General Store. Shuttle bus from the parking lot to the summit. There is a $5 per person entrance fee. We plan on taking a club photo with the club banner at this location. From here we will depart for Dahlonega via Suches, GA for lunch.

Lunch is @: Yahoola Creek Grill
1810 S. Chestatee Street
Dahlonega, GA
706 740 4300
Yahoola Creek Grill: Dahlonega Restaurant | Restaurants in Dahlonega | Dining in Dahlonega | Dahlonega Catering | Dahlonega Special Events | Dahlonega Wedding Rehearsals

After lunch we will be riding Billy's back roads ending up on the Richard B. Russell scenic highway on our way back to Hiawassee.

Dinner will be at the Chop House located next door to the hotel. 706 896 3200

Sunday, September 18
Depart for home

Garry Bopp has advised that you may want to travel to the HSR at Road Atlanta on Sunday.
Here is the schedule and information if you can make it.

The following is a note from Garry Bopp to Billy about the event.

Thanks for the email reminder! I just called HSR and got the info and it's not good news. We would have to buy a ticket for Sunday @ $30.00 plus the track touring laps @ $35.00. They might be able to give us a $5 or $10 discount on the daily ticket if we had a large group. I my do it just because I love to watch the historic races but I'm guessing not many will be interested at that price. You can post the info in the newsletter and let folks make their decision. The touring laps would be sometime between 10:00 and 12:00. I'm pretty sure I've already sent you the schedule for Sunday's races but am including it again.
Let Billy know if you want to go. He needs to know by September 1st !!
Tom Wells

Re: DSCC End of Summer Mountain cruise

Post by Tom Wells »

Chris,

Had dinner last week with John and Debbie Hill from West Palm Beach. They are driving up so you should be seeing them there - I don't think they are going through JAX but you never know...

You can look for them there.

Tom
Avalanche325

Re: DSCC End of Summer Mountain cruise

Post by Avalanche325 »

Tom,

John and Debbie sure like doing the long hauls. I would bet they are going up I-75. When it gets a little closer, I'll reach out to them and see if any timing works out to meet along the way. There is also a car or two coming from the Savannah area, so I could head that way. There might be one more from the Jax area going. His car just got painted, but he travels a lot with work, so schedule dependent.

I finally sprung for a soft top. It is great not baking in the sun.

We'll have to get a First Coast cruise together when it cools down a little.

Chris