Daytona/SCCA PDX August 4, 2017

Tom Wells

Daytona/SCCA PDX August 4, 2017

Post by Tom Wells »

Well I did it again: signed up for another SCCA PDX at Daytona for Friday, August 4, 2017. I'm planning to take the Zephyr again.

I'm rebuilding the brakes, flushing the cooling system and a few other odds and ends with hopes for doing more than one session.

Anyone who would like to join me, and especially to be part of the pit crew, is more than welcome! It's free, and you get access to the whole facility.

Let me know if you'd like to be there; I have to put you on the list to be allowed in.

Tom
cHarley

Re: Daytona/SCCA PDX August 4, 2017

Post by cHarley »

Tom,

Count me in! :)

cHarley
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

cHarley,

You're on the list!

Kay and I'll take the car down for inspection Thursday afternoon. Then the rest of us can go in about 7:30AM Friday for the drivers meeting. If you can't do that early, possibly one of the other guys can do so - it's what we did in May.

Thanks,

Tom
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Preparing for the track day: redo the brakes.

I just finished (except for bleeding the brakes) putting the new rotors, calipers and pads on the rear of the wagon. The front will get new pads and rotors tomorrow - at least that's the plan.

When Herb and I did the rears last time he was here it was a circus: bad calipers, two different thicknesses of pads and who knows what.

Anyway, last track day (SCCA PDX) the braking was lousy (yes, that's a technical term). If you look at the video in that thread you can see the G levels were not good during braking. Maybe 3 or 4 tenths of a G. Cornering and acceleration were OK. Cornering touched 1G in places, very satisfying. And a little scary...

The rear rotors looked unevenly worn radially. Pictures below show that was not an illusion. They were worn partially and turned blue from heat in narrow bands. You can see this in the pictures below:
Zrotors front1 web.jpg
Zrotors front1 web.jpg (344.16 KiB) Viewed 5678 times
Zrotors backside3 web.jpg
Zrotors backside3 web.jpg (382.57 KiB) Viewed 5678 times
Both rotors are shown alongside a new one. The areas where only part of the pads were against the surface are visible, along with some bands of discoloration where the heat level got out of hand.

I really hope the new parts will be better!

Tom
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Tom, what time are you heading to Daytona on that Thursday? Maybe we can find a spot to hook up and I will follow you down.
Ken
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

The inspection starts at 4PM Thursday afternoon according to the schedule. We'll probably leave around 2:30PM because we all have to stop at the check-in building first after we go in the gate to get our wristbands and sign our lives away.

Kay followed me down the last time and brought me home. I left the car there overnight and it was still there in the morning.

My pit guys picked me up early on Friday which I hope they will do again. The PDX drivers meeting is scheduled for 8:40AM on Friday the 4th, so I'd like to get there at 8AM. That gives time for the pit crew to check in and get their wristbands.

You could probably get inspected early Friday AM if you didn't want to leave your car; if you trailer down, you could leave the car in the trailer overnight.

Tom
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

I'll follow you down on Thursday. I'll leave the trailer. If you want I can bring you home.
I'll get with you as we get closer.
Ken
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

Sounds good!

Also, some of my "pit crew" are going to pick me up here about 7AM Friday to bring gas cans etc if you want to meet up then too. The driver's meeting is scheduled for 8:40AM in the pit area.

Tom
earlsflyincobra

Post by earlsflyincobra »

Tom,

It is a long drive for me but, Can you add me to the list, I'm going to try my best to make it, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee O:::: O:::: O::::

Thanks, Earl
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Earl,

You waited too late :ymtongue:

I can't edit my entry as of yesterday - they've closed it.

I do believe if you meet us there - or maybe even after we arrive - we'll be there I hope at 8AM - you can tell them you're part of my pit crew and they'll have you sign your life away, give you a wristband and let you in. If trouble - call me or Mike.

They use the gate at the west end of the track - Williamson Ave? I think maybe it is gate 40 but you probably know better than I do.

Are you bringing the Cobra? :-bd

Tom