Daytona/SCCA PDX Sept 30, 2017

Lost the prior content. :cry: Make new stuff!
Tom Wells

Daytona/SCCA PDX Sept 30, 2017

Post by Tom Wells » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:29 pm

Well here we go again...

I've signed up the Zephyr for the Daytona/SCCA PDX Saturday Sept 30, 2017.

If anyone's interested in being part of the pit crew, let me know! It's free.

Last time I made three laps before being black flagged for heavy smoke. This time has to be better, right? O}

Tom

mooreken

Re: Daytona/SCCA PDX Sept 30, 2017

Post by mooreken » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:07 pm

I have signed up also.
Here's hoping the weather is good.
Ken

Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:02 pm

Here's something I forgot from the previous Daytona weekend. This was the day after my track day when I volunteered at the grid.

The white Falcon that was supposed to run with us at Daytona broke a trans, so Bill drove one of his Porsche race cars. Here's the writeup on the Falcon: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/artic ... -disguis/
Bill Riddell owns the white one (not pictured in the article). This one accurately resembles a 1960 Falcon, a NASCAR Cup car, or one of John Force's funny cars...

It has been clocked at 198 at the start/finish line at Daytona. The blue one ran 201.

Something to aim for :-bd

I may run the wagon again September 30 if the event takes place - they are milling around right now trying to find enough drivers and volunteers who can take time away from Irma rebuilding. We'll see.

BTW, Bill did remember the wagon when I met him at the races the following day.

Tom

Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:43 pm

The PDX is on for Saturday September 30.

Since the Zephyr created clouds of smoke at Daytona - yes, I was black-flagged for that - I moved the trans cooler from inside the right front fender to the front of the radiator. It has its own pusher fan. I believe trans overheating (and my overfilling) probably caused the smoke that ended my day.

The engine also ran hot, so I got a shrouded 2400CFM fan and installed it.

It still ran hot when I get after it (don't ask where/when I did that.) The trans stayed much, much cooler.

So now Summit, who were happy to sell me the best Derale twin-fan, shrouded 3750CFM replacement, will Fedex the thing to me, probably today. I'll then have the fun of trying to shoehorn it into the Zephyr because it is a bit thicker. I do have Derale's permission to trim the shroud up to 3/4" :-ss

We'll see...

Still no volunteers for my pit crew - I promise to try to stay longer this time!

Tom

mooreken

Post by mooreken » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:02 pm

Well I don't have an cooling problems (at the moment). I did a plug change ant it seems I have a few valve seals leaking. The O'l inter web said that some have trouble with the Trick Flow seals climbing up the shaft so I got some from Comp Cams. Can't decide to change them now or wait till after Daytona in case something goes very wrong.

I have moved my trailer to higher ground. So that won't be an issue this time.

Ken