Foxtoberfest Sat. Oct 14, 2017

Tom Wells

Foxtoberfest Sat. Oct 14, 2017

Post by Tom Wells »

Interesting annual gathering of Fox platform vehicles: http://www.foxresto.com/foxtoberfest_th ... _a/258.htm

Saturday, October 14, 2017, 9AM - 4PM in Kannapolis, NC, about 30 miles northeast of Charlotte. Entry fee is $20 at the gate. All Fox-based autos are invited - they had 350 last year, more expected this year.

Tempting for the Zephyr. Anyone else think this might be fun?

Tom
Tom Wells

Re: Foxtoberfest Sat. Oct 14, 2017

Post by Tom Wells »

Well, I went. And met up with Doug from VA with his baby blue Fairmont wagon.

Almost didn't get to go - I put the key in and turned it. There was a click but nothing else; mind you this was 8AM Friday, my planned departure time. Some rapid diagnosis led to the starter having failed.

Kay reminded me I had another one, so I got it out and saw that it was one I bought 11 years ago for the Cobra. It went in too deep, rubbed the flywheel and gave an enormous, continuous high-pitched squeal. The vendor sent me some shims and I put them in the box, so when I exhumed the starter, there they were! Predictably, they were not the correct shims and didn't come close to fitting.

The top bolt on the starter was last seen probably before I put the engine in, but with some extensions, a u-joint, a flashlight and a few cusswords, the old starter came out:
Wreckage1web.jpg
Wreckage1web.jpg (656.53 KiB) Viewed 4445 times
I carried it over to the jump box just to see if it would turn over. It didn't. Instead, it left a trail of rusty water on the floor. I decided that driving home after the track day at Daytona probably did it in, as I had several pretty deep water areas to go through to make it back to the house, mostly around Crescent Beach on A1A:
DeadStarterOozeweb.jpg
DeadStarterOozeweb.jpg (544.24 KiB) Viewed 4445 times
I did manage to get the new starter in. I craftily and carefully wired two flatwashers to the starter's two bolt holes after applying some sticky stuff, thinking I could use these to replace the missing shim. After some time, some more cusswords, two broken lights including my good flashlight, I got it in and cinched down. It looked fine. Then I looked at the floor where the second broken light lay, and lo! and behold! There was the upper bolt hole washer - you can see it plainly near the bottom of the photo, on the floor:
BustedLightandWasherweb.jpg
BustedLightandWasherweb.jpg (911.88 KiB) Viewed 4445 times
At his point it was nearly 11AM and I thought OK, no more time. I tried the new - slightly crookedly mounted - starter, and it worked. I shut off the engine and tried it again, and it worked again. I decided two out of two was good enough for me (and the Zephyr too) so I left the garage a shambles and took off for Kannapolis.

Happily, the starter made every start there and back although there was a tense moment for me each time I turned the key. Bottom line: we got there early and enjoyed the show thoroughly:
Me&Doug1web.jpg
Me&Doug1web.jpg (697.71 KiB) Viewed 4445 times
Me&Doug2web.jpg
Me&Doug2web.jpg (716.52 KiB) Viewed 4445 times
There were at least six Fox platform wagons at the show. Here are five even if they are a little hard to pick out of the lineup:
Fivewagonsweb.jpg
Fivewagonsweb.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 4445 times
Here are two more shots including another Zephyr:
Another Nice wagon1web.jpg
Another Nice wagon1web.jpg (1005.94 KiB) Viewed 4445 times
Another Nice wagon2web.jpg
Another Nice wagon2web.jpg (830.85 KiB) Viewed 4445 times
Continued next message...
Last edited by Tom Wells on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Foxtoberfest report continued...

It was a pretty big show. Their estimate was 550+ Fox platform cars and that may have been correct. They are going to to a better count from some of the drone photos and post it on their web site.

Here's a shot taken from the top of the building (a whole two stories up):
Overviewweb.jpg
Overviewweb.jpg (956.42 KiB) Viewed 4445 times
That didn't take in the entire show, but it gives a good idea of how many cars were there.

A side note: Mike, the guy I bought the wagon from was there - I don't remember exactly when I got it, but it must have been some time in 2009. Mike parked his black car right next to the wagon. He recognized the car; I didn't recognize him because we never met - his father conducted the transaction. One of life's little coincidences...

And finally, after 1000 miles in three days, the Z gets a rest:
ZbackHomeweb.jpg
ZbackHomeweb.jpg (685.33 KiB) Viewed 4445 times
And, uh, me too. Cleanup and redo for the starter begins tomorrow!
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Almost forgot! Here's the link to Doug's pictures: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM ... Bvc3RGVGN3
BlackSnake

Post by BlackSnake »

Tom,

Was yours the only wagon with a big block? Funny that the Zephyr's PO parked right next to you. ..]
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

BS,

I only saw one other big block car, and it was a Mustang, not a wagon. There may have been one or two others that I failed to spot.

BTW, I forgot to mention the bottom bolt (one of the two that hold the starter on) stripped when I put the new starter in. Being out of time, I cross-threaded a metric bolt into the hole. Haven't taken it out yet - waiting on the correct size drill bit for the Helicoil to do that.

Clearly a situation where one does not even think "what else could go wrong..." :GR::

I think he parked there on purpose. He loudly announced to everyone all day that he sold that car to me. Kinda irked me a trifle, not sure why.

Sorry I missed the Stefan meeting. Maybe when the parts come in?

Tom