Track Day Starke

mooreken

Track Day Starke

Post by mooreken »

Unless the chance of rain increases I plan to do the open track day at the "FIRM" road course near Keystone\Starke on Saturday morning.
The cost is $200 pre paid before Saturday and $250 on Saturday. Sense Sunday is both my birthday and Father's day I think I owe myself a gift.

Ken
Tom Wells

Re: Track Day Starke

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

Sounds like Cobra Stuff to me ~~(<

Haven't been there yet, so a full report would be much appreciated!

Happy B&F days,

Tom
mooreken

Re: Track Day Starke follow up.

Post by mooreken »

While the rain cut the day short my visit to the "FIRM" was positive.
The people were friendly and the track was smooth. For those that have been to the Gainesville track this one is different. Faster and there are things that you could hit if you "over cook it". But none of those were issues for any of the drivers today.
I was able to hit around 112-115 mph in third gear (that was on the Chip as they say) on the long straight. I could have shifted into 4th but I just was not ready for that yet.

When I when thru tech, I told the race master/instructor that I was a rookie. He told me to see him for some tips on driving the track. When I caught up with him he took a map of the track and marked it with the important cones and apexes. Along with advice on the nuances of the various turns. Very helpful.
The Cobra was very well received. The only one there and I got all the attention.
They run 20min sessions with 6 cars on the track at a time. The first runs go in order of: very experienced, then moderate, then novice. After that they mix them up. All the drivers were courteous and either moved over for the faster cars or were given time to get out of the way.

I plan to go back as the budget allows....maybe one a month or 6 weeks or so. I spoke to the race master and asked it I could get instruction in my car sense I only have the one roll bar. He didn't think it would be a problem but he recommend that I use on it their cars with him first....the only problem with that is it is a Mazda Maida. (I will have to put a car cover over the Cobra to hide its eyes.)
I did get an "adaboy" thou. He said that he had been watching me (he likes Cobras) and thought that I would not need much instruction. Just time to learn the track......lol. Not bad for a 65 year old dirt circle track racer.

All and all I would recommend the event. It is only an hour drive from south Jax and not all that much $$$$ all things considered.
If you have any questions I will make up some lies as needed.

Ken
pops

Post by pops »

Happy Birthday Old guy ..] ..] ..] and congrats on a good day at the track (v)
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

Thanks for the update.

Probably they changed the more dangerous parts of the track to make them safer for us tyros.

Let us know when you plan on going again, and I'll try to make it too.

Tom
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Hi Tom, yes they changed the direction of the track to counter clockwise and this made the part where the two parts of the track get close at the end of a shorter straightaway and the entry to the turn is tighter so much slower. (however this is a banked turn with a cement wall on the out side separating the two parts of the track so there is something to hit if you really mess up). While it got my attention I never felt that I was in danger of hitting it.
I've attached the map with the notes the instructed made for me.

Thanks all for the birthday wishes.....Ken
Attachments
Map
Map
Starke road coarse Map078.jpg (694.19 KiB) Viewed 4672 times
bfitz241

Post by bfitz241 »

I'm sorry I missed this. Thanks for posting the info. Glad you had a good time. It's something I'd like to try.
FFR 351C AFD heads Silver w/black trim no stripes