new Project. Electric P/S

mooreken

new Project. Electric P/S

Post by mooreken »

This will be a unhurried project so my updates may have some time between posts but I've decided to give this a try.
I added the "Sweet Mfg" dirt late model fast rack (2.5 turns lock to lock) last summer. While I thought I could get by without the power assist those big tires just are getting a little much with all the caster I have in the front end. That and I don't seem to have as much upper body strength as I used to doing body work all the time...lol.

Here is a link to a Factory 5 that has one installed. I hope to a little cleaner job putting it in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKzCaEjvJeM

I considered hydraulic P/S but I have an electric water pump and a low mount alternator so there just was not enough pulleys to make it all work. And the cost would be around $600 for the servo and pump, bkts, and hoses.
I picked up the column, $50 from the salvage (junk) yard. And have ordered the control unit assy from Ebay.$60

It looks like all I might have to buy is a straight to DD coupler and maybe another U-joint. Looks like there is room for it. I will have to fabricate mtg bkts and work out the wiring.

I will try to remember to take photos to post.
Ken
Attachments
Ill be taking off everything except the power unit at the top.
Ill be taking off everything except the power unit at the top.
elec steering.JPG (106.61 KiB) Viewed 5854 times
Tom Wells

Re: new Project. Electric P/S

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

Very interested in this project. More pictures and some specific make/model/year info on the components would also be helpful.

I've had PS from the beginning on both hot rods. Caught a lot of flack 15 years ago for doing it with the Cobra. The comments stopped as more folks converted theirs over to help during parking and autocross.

Mine is the conventional Fox platform Mustang pump/rack combo on both cars. It is necessary on the Zephyr due to the Hydroboost brakes which require a hydraulic pump. Or maybe the electric system can do that too?

Keep us posted,

Tom

EDIT:

I just looked at the video and offer a suggestion: absolutely minimize the number and angles of any u-joints in the steering!

After I came to Saint Augustine, Mike suggested I remove one u-joint from my steering system in the Cobra; he observed that since I wasn't using sidepipes that the headers would not interfere with a straighter, reduced number of u-joints steering shaft.

After I did that, it was obvious I had a whole new car. The steering was transformed in terms of reduction in play, stability and accuracy of pointing the car.

Worth paying attention to!
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Sure Tom. 2002-2007 Saturn Vue is the most common. The Chevy Equinox 2005-2007 is also used. If planned from the start most of the Hot Rod installs do it under the dash. Cut the column and tube and put it in there. Then it is only a DD shaft to the box like a normal manual install.

It looks like I can keep the u-joints about the same. If I can make the straight shaft to DD union at the top of the box then what I have now will work, only have to shorten the DD rod.
The bottom of the box to the rack is where I might have to get creative. But it is early and I'm sure I will change my mind a few times before I settle on the final install.
Making it look "cool" is also part of the challenge. If I can rotate the main part of the unit down and color coordinate the power unit along with a little polished aluminum shielding to fool the eye, I think I can make it look ok.

I'll post pictures as I go along.

Summit racing has a kit all ready to go...but they want $1500!!!
Not the way I roll....
Ken
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Here is the box removed from the column.
Looks like I have room for it in the frame. I’ll have to move the radiator over flow but it should fit.

Still no idea how Ill end up as far as support bkts...but that is all part of the fun.
Attachments
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG (230.85 KiB) Viewed 5830 times
IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG (261.1 KiB) Viewed 5830 times
IMG_0039.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG (112.95 KiB) Viewed 5830 times
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Here are all the pieces for the ePowersteering. Now all I have to do is commit to decommissioning the car for the project.
Attachments
IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG (115.23 KiB) Viewed 5774 times
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

That looks as if it will bolt right in ~~(< ~~(< ~~(<

Tom
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Weather has cooled so I have started to start on the project.
I set everything up to bench test. It works.

More pictures to follow.
Attachments
IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0097.JPG (117.04 KiB) Viewed 5681 times
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

After lots of planning it seems that my planning is only good as practice for more planning. The steering box will fit into the space I have, but only just. The cute bracket I bought won't fit into the space so unless I can cut it up and use the pieces for the yet undecided new bracket it's just an extra piece to lay around the shop.
But as they say that is where the fun is......

I still feel I can get it all mounted...I was hoping to make the bkts so that they would bolt in and not have to weld anything. That might have to change.
So far I have not done anything that can not be undone if needed to put it back the way it was.
I have the box sitting between the U-joints and is hanging on its own so I should be able to make some cardboard templates to help with the fabrication.
Attachments
The output shaft has a 16.5mm spline. I bought a coupler that has a 3/4 round on the downstream side that I will weld a DD shaft to mate with the DD U-joint going to the rack.
The output shaft has a 16.5mm spline. I bought a coupler that has a 3/4 round on the downstream side that I will weld a DD shaft to mate with the DD U-joint going to the rack.
IMG_0111.JPG (108.89 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
I cut the factory slip input shaft and tacked a DD coupler to it to mate with the column U-joint.
I cut the factory slip input shaft and tacked a DD coupler to it to mate with the column U-joint.
IMG_0117.JPG (89.97 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
When finished I will replace the DD steel with a Stainless Steel shaft to the column.
When finished I will replace the DD steel with a Stainless Steel shaft to the column.
IMG_0110.JPG (88.08 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

As I figured I was not able to use the bracket that I bought for the unit. These are the ones that I have made so for. I still have one more for the input side of the unit. However I am happy with these. I was able to bolt them in so no welding to the frame was needed.
I should have the remaining bkt fabed up this weekend.

Enjoy the photos.
Attachments
IMG_0124.JPG
IMG_0124.JPG (105.2 KiB) Viewed 5646 times
IMG_0123.JPG
IMG_0123.JPG (81.62 KiB) Viewed 5646 times
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Last bracket is complete. I need to get the "rattle cans" out and make everything nice and pretty.
All that is left is to install control module and amount of assist knob and run the wires.
Next update should be how it feels when driving.

Ken
Attachments
IMG_0134.JPG
IMG_0134.JPG (113.64 KiB) Viewed 5610 times
IMG_0133.JPG
IMG_0133.JPG (148.78 KiB) Viewed 5610 times