My F150

mooreken

My F150

Post by mooreken »

Well as noting seems to be going on I thought I would do one of my long winded activities story. (it also explains why no Triumph updates for the last couple of days.

While my brother was down and we were working on the Triumph my F150 spent a lot of time off to the side out of the way. As such it got the "under tree" illness with tree drippings and mold so I decided to give it a bath.

When I started it up something just didn't feel right, I was pretty sure it had dropped a cylinder. But I whet on with the cleaning.
Being a truck I left the shammy in the cabinet and took it for a spin around the neighborhood to blow off the water, sure enough on came the "check engine" light.

After connecting the scanner, up popped a "misfire on Cyl #1" code. As the ignition system has been untouched sense new (2001 model and 110,000 miles) I really wasn't all that surprised. So off to the parts store and got plugs and a coil pack. I was pretty sure it was the coil back and #1 happens to be the easiest one to get to, so I did think about only doing the coil, but I do plan to keep it so plugs it is.
IMG_2008.jpg
IMG_2008.jpg (162.34 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
As seems to be the way now days I did my YouTube search for changing the plugs...after doing so I almost took the plugs back. Its not a simple thing to replace Ford modular 5.4 plugs.
I had replaced the A/C parts this summer and fought it with the hood on so the first thing I did was take the hood off...that was a good call. While it can be done with the hood on it would have taken lots more bending and crouching than a man of my years wanted to do..(and the hood is aluminum so not that bad to get off with help).
IMG_2009.jpg
IMG_2009.jpg (144.49 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
passenger side
IMG_2011.jpg
IMG_2011.jpg (176.57 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
drivers side
IMG_2012.jpg
IMG_2012.jpg (156 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
After pulling #1plug I noticed a bit of difference with the threads.
IMG_2010.jpg
IMG_2010.jpg (167.24 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
So back to the parts store to see what's up. They did more searching and pulled another plug from stock that is also used on the 5.4 and it too has threads all the way to the middle. So back to the shop.

I took a marker and blackened the mating flange and tightened the plug and it indicated that it is seating as it should so I when on with the install.
IMG_2016.jpg
IMG_2016.jpg (113.18 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
Here are most of the tools that I needed to get the coil mounting bolts and the plugs out. I think I used every floppy and swivel that I had to get it done.
IMG_2018.jpg
IMG_2018.jpg (103.31 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
As it worked out I was able to get all the plugs replaced today and the right side all reconnected with the coil pack and injector terminals that had to be removed for access to the coil hold down bolts..Plugs are in on the left side but I saved putting in the coil hold down bolts (the bolts are the hardest part) and wiring till tomorrow.

Hope you enjoyed my long winded story...Its not driving the Cobra, but a day in the shop is always welcome.
Ken
Tom Wells

Re: My F150

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

I did the plugs on my 2006 Ford E-150 van. By myself. I don't think it took more than a day, but it's been a while. And there were times during that session I felt like a piece of paper at an origami class...

The next one is a 2014 but it already has 65K, so not looking forward to doing that one either!

When you are done let us know if the check engine light is out, or has decided to remain on LOL

BTW I don't comprehend the spark plug thread length question. The plug that you removed is on the left of your picture? If so the one that is fully threaded would maybe hit the piston if it went in apparently another half inch or therabouts it would seem.

Tom
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

When I finished the right side and got it all hooked up, I went ahead and cleared the code and started it up to make sure the miss was gone and it was. That way I didn’t add messing with the left side to the equation.

Yes the plugs are a bit strange. You are correct the left one is the original. The distance from the sealing taper to the end is the same on both plugs and when screwing them in it felt like I thought it should as to when I expected it to reach bottom. Nothing hit on the right side when I did the test start, so I’m just going to put it out of my mind.
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

After only a couple more hours of work I got the last two coil packs in and all the coil and injectors plugged up..Test start has no miss.

All is well for another 20 years (at least for the plugs..lol)