New Tool for the group

mooreken

New Tool for the group

Post by mooreken »

Ok....once again not much activity on the site. So, I feel compelled to come up with something.

As time has gone on sense the dyno day. I am still having trouble with dark spark plugs. Not all of them just some of them.
I have sent emails to Elderbrock tech about the distribution problem as not all of the plugs are dark...some of them look ok. The first answer I got is that my engine is the largest that they have documented using the RPM Air Gap intake manifold.....woohoo.
Of the possible things to be causing my rich condition. They mentioned the manifold might be too small for the cubic inch of the motor. Now I know that my heads are small for the displacement...195cc intake runners, and the intake is small according to Elderbrock, but to be honest I can't see how that would darken up the plugs.
The tech also mentioned that maybe the intake gaskets are not sealing, and it is pulling oil from the lifter valley.
As that seemed a reasonable possibility, I decided to see how to test it.
So I looked to youTube and found a smoke generator project.....here it is.

https://youtu.be/2ksD6dfAI1k

The results are in the video if nothing else we now have a smoke machine if anyone needs to use one.... just let me know.
Ken
Tom Wells

Re: New Tool for the group

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

Neat gadget and test! Because I probably have so many places for the smoke to emerge - most of them unwanted - I probably won't ask to borrow it :shifty:

Just to reverse your conclusion slightly: to overcome a throttle shaft leak, you'll no doubt richen the mixture at idle which is a high vacuum state for the intake manifold. What happens as the vacuum drops when the engine is under load? Wouldn't the mixture become richer as the vacuum gets lower?

Just speculating...

Tom
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

There is a nice kit to install brass bushings in the base plate. From Holley there are no bushings in the base plate, it lives in the raw aluminum.
The strange thing is I have spent a couple of hours searching the internet and there is no mention of the tolerance for a worn shaft/plate. Nothing on Holley site either.
Even the Teflon bushing repair kit from Holley that has two sizes doesn’t give a number to reach for.
One YouTuber says that Holley gives .010 as the max. I’m not going to call and be on hold for the time it will take to get a tech. I’ll just buy the bushing kit and do the install as it feels like much more that .010 movement. (I’ll measure it later before I order it)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JZ ... OE58&psc=1
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

No idea how this compares with the tool & bushings you listed above, but here's what looks to be another option: https://www.carbjunkys.com/Throttle-Sha ... er-kit.htm

Tom
BlackSnake

Post by BlackSnake »

I’ve simply come to accept that dark plugs are a normal state of being with these motors… 8-)