SCCA Track Night Daytona 8-1-2019

Tom Wells

SCCA Track Night Daytona 8-1-2019

Post by Tom Wells »

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times...

We set out Thursday afternoon for the Daytona track to attend the Track Night in America (TNIA). Hardin driving the Zephyr, me with the Cobra in the trailer since it might pour rain on us.

Almost to I95 on US1 (a bit south of Smokin' D's if you know where that is) my phone rang. I don't answer when I'm driving, but I glanced at it to see who was calling, and it was Hardin. As I answered, I thought "this can't be good." It wasn't. The Zephyr was laying down a smoke screen a mosquito fogger could be proud of, so we pulled into the fruit stand just before I95 and set about diagnosing.

The obvious symptom was that the oil pressure gauge line had rubbed a hole against the firewall and was diligently emptying the oil pan onto the driver's side header. Some discussion, speculation and nervously glancing at the time followed.

Shortly we concluded we didn't have the parts, the tools or the time to repair the line, so I decided to leave it at the fruit stand and continue to the track with the Cobra in tow. The person operating the stand readily agreed to let us leave the car in his parking lot over night and even had us put it in a parking spot covered by his security camera.

The rest of the day went perfectly - Hardin got in three sessions in the Cobra, getting quicker each time and seemingly had a ball. Here are a couple of stills of the car; I'll try to link the videos. The event was very well run, the weather was perfect - overcast so it was tolerable in the open, and no rain!

I recommend the TNIA Novice class for anyone who wants to try out their car on a real track, especially if it's for the first time. Everyone I talked with during the event had only good things to say about it. Quite a few drivers were there for the first time, and all seemed to enjoy the experience. By the way, if it does come back, register right away! Mike waited a day too long and was told it was already filled up.

Cobra front web.jpg
Cobra front web.jpg (511.4 KiB) Viewed 4062 times
Cobra side web.jpg
Cobra side web.jpg (600.88 KiB) Viewed 4062 times
If I can get the videos onto Youtube or somewhere, I'll put the links in a subsequent message.

For the rest of the story (worst of times) about the Zephyr, I'll put a separate thread in the Non Cobra Stuff.
Tom Wells

Re: SCCA Track Night Daytona 8-1-2019

Post by Tom Wells »

Here are four iPhone videos I took during the day.

First, idling in the staging area:

On the high bank between NASCAR turns 3&4:

Going through the U in the infield part of the course:

Passing a Mustang in the U:

Enjoy!
BlackSnake

Post by BlackSnake »

Yes, next time this opportunity presents itself, I definitely won't hesitate to sign up ASAP! I'm still PO'd at myself for getting closed out... :GR:: :GR:: :GR::

Btw, where's the vid of Hardin's near off road excursion heading into the bus stop? That was cringe-worthy! Have you checked the driver's seat for cheek-pucker effect? :W:
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Mike,

The other two videos were from the dash cam of the guy behind him - I think Hardin was just being polite and letting him go by with a small smoke-bomb salute :mrgreen:

As soon as we can figure out how to give him the appropriate credit, we plan to get his videos posted - or linked - whatever works - we'll do that.

Tom
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Car looks good on the track....No Harry's data?
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

No video or data. My camera mount must have caught yours' disease - it wouldn't adhere to the windshield and I ran out of time to try more options.

Tom
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Here's a video provided by Thomas Stone, Subaru pilot who was just behind Hardin for the session:

BlackSnake

Post by BlackSnake »

Nice Tom! ..]

That was fun to watch until Hardin ruined it with the slide... :W: