Daytona Day

mooreken

Daytona Day

Post by mooreken »

The Trailer and car is in the paddock. No one was in line at sign in so I got to talk to the official a little. He even knew who I was and asked if I was still driving the Cobra.
He also noted that I seem to only do Daytona....felt good to get a little recognition.
I hung around for a while (I don't get to be around car and racing guys much) and was watching tech. I thought I might volunteer a little in tech as I do know cars a bit. But after watching the people try to go thru now I'm not so sure without spending a lot of time on the side lines.
When I was racing I would never had driven hours and hundreds of miles to show up at a track and not be ready.

There was a team with a real Camaro race car don't know the class but not a local. First he didn't have his log book...that is the bible...never show up at a race without the log book. Let alone Daytona where they want experience.
Then the class HAS to have brake lights......no lights.
The master cut off switch has to cut off everything.....that not so good there either.
Now what do they do....the driver and the tech....send everyone home. I wouldn't want to make that call as Tech.

Another car also didn't have brake lights. He did have a log book..but he has been racing a long time, also not a local, and had filled up the old log.
So all he brought to Tech was the new log....which didn't have but a couple of events in the new book. Paul cut him some slack as it was obvious that he has been doing this a long time and I think the old log was in the car hauler.

So off in the morning...I got the GoPro on the roll bar, couldn't get it to sync to the Harrys Lap Timer, but with luck I might be able to merge them If I can get HLT to see the video in iCloud......
Ken
Tom Wells

Re: Daytona Day

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

Even though I'm working today getting everything prepared for a dive trip, I'm still envious!

I hope you have a very successful and fun day. And if you get some videos to post that'll be great too.

Enjoy!

Tom
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Got a couple videos. Still learning the GoPro.

Big news though is I had to push it into the trailer while leaving a trail of oil. 😢

It will be a month or so before I pull it. Going to work on the Triumph this month.

And I just ordered the TKX trans. So nearly all new power train in the works.
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Oh, no! Not shades of Starke I hope!
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Not nearly as bad. It left a couple of small puddles of oil so I think it only hit the top of the pan. Not down deep. And the water jacket is not broken.
The 400 sbc block is not sleeveable so that might be a problem. Depending on the damage I am leaning towards a dart block. These 50yr old blocks are hard to find and still 50yrs old. The new stuff has better oiling and other improvements.

The issue there is they use 350 main journal size. Which is around .100 smaller. If this crank is good it is 400 size and my 4” stroker crank(434) is also 400 size. I’m going to talk to my engine machinist and see if it will turn safely.

I’ll update things in June.
BlackSnake

Post by BlackSnake »

Well that sucks, sorry to hear it Ken. Even if you can cut either of the two cranks the required amount, they'll no longer have surface hardening. Would you have it sent out to be re-heat treated? The stock 400 crank is nodular cast iron if I remember correctly, not forged steel. Is the stroker crank forged steel? If not, why not step up to a forged steel crank? Hate to see you pump more money and effort into marginal parts. Buy once, cry once. ;)
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

You are correct the stock 400 crank isn’t very good. The front journal is even hollow.
Both of the stroker cranks are good aftermarket. And I could guess maybe line boring could it all depends on cost..might cost more to try to use my stuff than go all new.

I’ll post the progress as I go along. I really don’t want anymore HP..would like it to live a bit longer. You would think that several track days and 5000 street miles it would have been happy

Tear down is set for the first of June.