The tune up saga.

mooreken

The tune up saga.

Post by mooreken »

To show that I don’t only show my success’s here’s a bit on my dark plug readings.
I start with the “Don’t mess with the carb until you have the ignition correct” that I didn’t follow very well.
In my defense I was over compensating for the compression ratio I ended up with.
I had the static timing set to 13 degrees. For a total of 34 degrees total without the vacuum connected. With around 8-10 degrees vacuum advance added. It ran well but the plugs were black. I messed with jetting and leaned it up and got a little better but in the back of my mind I felt it was too lean.
The dyno trip confirmed it was lean as I stepped the rears 8 numbers and the Ft 4. This gave me the confidence that wot was set.
The SCCA lunch cruise ended with the motor not running well at the stop lights. As it was ok at the start of the trip I suspected that I had crapped up the plugs. As I’m already running the hottest one Autolite has in my thread length.
I pulled the plugs and ran them thru my glass bead cabinet And the motor ran great so plugs was the problem.
With the Don’t mess saying nagging me and the confidence that the carb was set I bumped the static to 15 degrees so the total was 36. This showed some improvement in the plugs.
As the car spends most of its road time cruising with the throttle bearly cracking open it just needed more timing in No load cruising.
My vacuum advance is adjustable so I added more advance to have around 30 degrees at idle with vacuum connected.
Here is the plug after the first test run.
7B1AB583-C358-4644-9B71-3675C116FD36.jpeg
7B1AB583-C358-4644-9B71-3675C116FD36.jpeg (71.31 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
Looks like I may need to drop the plug heat range back a step which is a good thing.

I also added a oil separator between the pvc valve and the vacuum port at the carb base. As I keep saying “it’s the bling” that costs the most. The kit came with brass fittings and hose that would have worked ok. But I had to bling it up a bit. The fittings cost almost as much as the separator.
734AAC2E-FAE0-4A5E-BF31-C51B3B87FF04.jpeg
734AAC2E-FAE0-4A5E-BF31-C51B3B87FF04.jpeg (111.62 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
So far I’m feeling good on the progress.
Ken
BlackSnake

Re: The tune up saga.

Post by BlackSnake »

Well done Ken!