Fuel injection upgrade

BlackSnake

Re: Fuel injection upgrade

Post by BlackSnake »

Nice looking throttle body and manifold, they go well with the valve covers.
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

I thought I posted this yesterday but I guess not.
Short video of the progress. Nearly ready for the fire up. Can’t really call it a test. It will either run or not. Lol :dance:

https://youtu.be/2UmnwItx2iQ?si=rIf7AHjEEUANyGmL
BlackSnake

Post by BlackSnake »

Looking good Ken, should run like a champ!
Last edited by BlackSnake on Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

I knew it had been a while since I ordered the Sniper kit. Invoice shows January 29, 2023. Time flies whether you have fun or not... :lol: :dance:

The video says it all...but the start up was not clean. However I think it was normal. Its just that no YouTube or Holley videos show how things run before the "self learning" kicks in...
Ken

https://youtu.be/gfyLoNqKFsI
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

I knew it had been a while since I ordered the Sniper kit. Invoice shows January 29, 2023. Time flies whether you have fun or not... :lol: :dance:

The video says it all...but the start up was not clean. However I think it was normal. Its just that no YouTube or Holley videos show how things run before the "self learning" kicks in...
Ken

https://youtu.be/gfyLoNqKFsI
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

As I mentioned in the video, the Ft pusher fans were not working and I assumed that I had messed up the wiring or something. But I could not find anything wrong around the relay wiring.
So I pulled the fuse and it had come corrosion on the pins and cleaned that up. Then I made a jumper wire to bypass the relay and I heard the fans running. Or so I thought.
I cleaned up the connections at the temp. sensor with new ends and started it up. The fans came on at the 160 degree, or so I thought, but when I walked around to see only one was working. So more jumping and checking and I came to the conclusion that one of the motors must have gone bad.
Turned out I was correct. I got the fan kit from Finishline Accessorys when I first started the build. However I had a bad experience with them the last time I ordered something and saw bad reviews from other Cobra forums. I did call and was going to take a chance but no one answered the phone.
My internet search did not come up with any other solutions for a motor other than one for over $100 and not quite the same.
Legend has it that Shelby used the heater fan motor out of a Fairmont so I had an idea to try Grainger. One popped up. It looks the same in the picture but I have to wait until tomorrow to hold it and see how close it is as they had to order one in.
IMG_2852(1).JPG
IMG_2852(1).JPG (140.69 KiB) Viewed 103 times
On the other major issue I had bought a much cheaper throttle bkt from Amazon but it would not clear the linkage of the sniper. I was able to heat and bend one arm out for more room but the other end I needed to extend it. I was able to find a small welding shop and they fixed me up as it is aluminum.
This should be the last hurdle and only cleanup work will be left. Road trip soon.

IMG_2853(1).JPG
IMG_2853(1).JPG (119.66 KiB) Viewed 103 times
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

As I mentioned in the video, the Ft pusher fans were not working and I assumed that I had messed up the wiring or something. But I could not find anything wrong around the relay wiring.
So I pulled the fuse and it had come corrosion on the pins and cleaned that up. Then I made a jumper wire to bypass the relay and I heard the fans running. Or so I thought.
I cleaned up the connections at the temp. sensor with new ends and started it up. The fans came on at the 160 degree, or so I thought, but when I walked around to see only one was working. So more jumping and checking and I came to the conclusion that one of the motors must have gone bad.
Turned out I was correct. I got the fan kit from Finishline Accessorys when I first started the build. However I had a bad experience with them the last time I ordered something and saw bad reviews from other Cobra forums. I did call and was going to take a chance but no one answered the phone.
My internet search did not come up with any other solutions for a motor other than one for over $100 and not quite the same.
Legend has it that Shelby used the heater fan motor out of a Fairmont so I had an idea to try Grainger. One popped up. It looks the same in the picture but I have to wait until tomorrow to hold it and see how close it is as they had to order one in.
IMG_2852(1).JPG
On the other major issue I had bought a much cheaper throttle bkt from Amazon but it would not clear the linkage of the sniper. I was able to heat and bend one arm out for more room but the other end I needed to extend it. I was able to find a small welding shop and they fixed me up as it is aluminum.
This should be the last hurdle and only cleanup work will be left. Road trip soon.

IMG_2853(1).JPG
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

W.W. Grainger came thru on time and with the correct part. In fact it is exactly the same part. :dance:
IMG_2854.jpeg
IMG_2854.jpeg (77.27 KiB) Viewed 89 times
I got it installed and tested. Glad to check that off the list.
IMG_2855.jpeg
IMG_2855.jpeg (100.59 KiB) Viewed 89 times
I put the fuel pressure gauge at the throttle body inlet port and the needle shook so bad I couldn’t even see the needle just a blur. So I thought to move it to the remote sump outlet port and it works so much better. And now I can see it from inside car (with hood up of course).
IMG_2856.jpeg
IMG_2856.jpeg (176.13 KiB) Viewed 89 times
And lastly this is the throttle bracket mocked up. It’s a lot busier than I would like but all the Sniper units seem to be this style. Maybe a “one day build” for a later date..
IMG_2857.jpeg
IMG_2857.jpeg (208.3 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Ken
BlackSnake

Post by BlackSnake »

Nice work Ken, looks like you’ll have it back on the road soon! :clap:
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

Looking good! I hope there's no more learning experiences in store... :tools-hammerdrill:

Tom