The Zephyr Distributor Saga...

Tom Wells

The Zephyr Distributor Saga...

Post by Tom Wells »

Well, the Zephyr abandoned me at the intersection of SR312 and US-1 a couple of weeks ago. Several really good Samaritans helped me push it to a less obstructive spot from which it was flat-bedded home.

Then I began, as Mike would characterize it, throwing parts at it.

First suspect was the distributor. I found the magnetic pickup was loose - which it isn't supposed to be. I had a new MSD pickup which of course didn't fit. Apparently the distributor was either too old or was a modified Ford unit. Naturally I had another distributor on my parts shelf I bought some time ago, following another Mike characterization of having more Plan Bs than anyone.

So I installed it along with a newer MSD Digital 6AL I also had on my shelf. Did it start? No.

First discovery: the white RPM signal wire used on the prior distributor wasn't correct. And no RPM signal == no start.

So back to the instructions to find that the RPM signal is now on the gray wire, so the change was made. Still no start. Back to the manual.

There's a coil test involving the two distributor connection wires and a paper clip which the coil apparently flunked - no spark. So back to the shelf where another MSD Vibration Proof coil was found. Eureka! The paper clip test produced a very healthy spark.

And then it started!

After that I timed it, adding 2 degrees to the static timing: 14 degrees. I put the next bushing in to limit the total to 32 degrees and when started it sounded as if it wanted to take on King Kong :character-megaman: I let it cool while we had lunch and then went out to check the radiator level which was fine. Then I closed the hood - NOT!

This distributor, MSD 8577, is a full inch taller than the old one:
MSD 8577_dim.jpg
MSD 8577_dim.jpg (36.9 KiB) Viewed 62 times
This what it actually looks like:
8577_v1.jpg
8577_v1.jpg (61.73 KiB) Viewed 62 times
So, now what? Another hole in the hood? A Crab Cap MSD for another $654? Will the Crab Cap even fit?

Details:
85804_0119177.jpg
85804_0119177.jpg (343.9 KiB) Viewed 62 times
Dimensions:
8580419177.jpg
8580419177.jpg (90.19 KiB) Viewed 62 times
Stay tuned...

Tom
mooreken

Re: The Zephyr Distributor Saga...

Post by mooreken »

Tom, as we were discussing the other day. Back in the "Before Time" with points and such we would have checked the coil as a matter of fact do the ease of the process (screw driver to ground) and would have come to the coil being the main issue much sooner. Now don't take me wrong as I would have jumped to the distributor as the main issue also. :think:

It's good you had the parts needed just laying around. (of course this reinforces the problem of NEVER throwing anything away as my cluttered garage can attest to).
Now all you need is a destination to make noise getting to.....lol.
Ken
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

It''s good to sleep on problems - I think...

I plan to cut a hole in the hood at the front of the scoop and then move the scoop forward 2-1/4".

Here's the hood with the scoop off:
HoodPic2web.JPG
HoodPic2web.JPG (173.05 KiB) Viewed 52 times

The red circle shows where the 4-5/8" holesaw will be applied.

Here's a closer view showing the rear of the distributor cap:
HoodPic1web.JPG
HoodPic1web.JPG (121.13 KiB) Viewed 52 times

The hood lacks about 1-1/2" of closing so I think the scoop will clear the plug wires vertically. You can see (just) the top rear of the distributor cap in front of the air cleaner in the top picture. Those wires should end up about an inch higher than shown with respect to the hood after the hole allows the hood to close.

Some touchup paint will likely be needed - I know where to get some.

As always, there's a complication: a hood brace runs across in front of the air cleaner - the sharp-eyed will notice a little notch inside the open portion of the red circle. That's where the brace runs across. I'll need to fabricate something to bridge that part.

More as it happens, I hope!
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

As an interim thing, here's a clip of the Zephyr after the new coil and distributor:
Zephyr running.mov
(872.52 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

A few more pictures; first the new distributor and coil in place:
Coil and distributor.JPG
Coil and distributor.JPG (3.83 MiB) Viewed 4 times
Then the modified hood opening:
Hood cutout.JPG
Hood cutout.JPG (2.12 MiB) Viewed 4 times
Finally the modified scoop:
Scoop 1.JPG
Scoop 1.JPG (1.93 MiB) Viewed 4 times
Scoop 2.JPG
Scoop 2.JPG (1.97 MiB) Viewed 4 times
The scoop ended up 2-1/4" farther forward because of the extended cutout for the distributor. Still awaiting a couple of parts for attaching the scoop. After that, I hope it's done!
BlackSnake

Post by BlackSnake »

Well done Tom, this is fun, no? 8-)